In this episode, Sharon talks about the challenges of facing holidays while grieving. She emphasizes the importance of acknowledging the holidays are coming and that they will be different without our loved ones. Sharon shares personal stories and offers guidance on how to navigate this difficult time, suggesting ways to adapt or create new traditions.
- Acknowledging the Holidays: Understanding that holidays will be different and potentially challenging without our loved ones.
- Inventory of Traditions: Sharon encourages listeners to take a mental inventory of holiday traditions and decide which ones they can bear.
- Creating New Traditions: Suggestions for starting new traditions that honor the memory of the loved ones we’ve lost.
- Emotional Check-In: Importance of staying in tune with one’s emotions during the holidays and allowing oneself to feel them fully.
- Surviving the Holidays eBook: Sharon has written an eBook on this topic, which she mentions is available for download.
- Sharon shares how the absence of a child or any loved one can deeply affect holiday experiences.
- She advises against trying to ‘muscle through’ the holidays and instead suggests embracing the changes.
- The importance of deciding which traditions to keep and which to change or let go of is discussed.
- Sharon shares her own experience of changing traditions after the loss of a loved one.
- Links to Sharon’s eBook “Surviving the Holidays” and her website for further resources.
- Information on how to book an appointment with Sharon for personalized guidance on handling the holidays while grieving.
- Encouragement and support for those struggling with loss during the holiday season.
Sharon acknowledges the profound impact of grief during the holidays and offers a compassionate approach to dealing with it. She encourages listeners to be true to their feelings, to consider changing traditions, and to find ways to honor their loved ones during these times.